Sour Wort Experiment: Lacto/Yogurt Kettle Sour

This was another experiment to try and achieve sourness in a beer using a “quick” method. Rather than adding uncrushed malt to the kettle to achieve lacto souring, I added some yogurt. Yogurt is full of healthy bacteria, and apparently some brewers are now using it to sour beer. I used Wegman’s brand, plain, non-fat greek yogurt.

  • 4 lb Pils malt (Avengard)
  • 2.5 lb White wheat
  • 1 oz Saaz 60 min
  • White Labs Brett Vrai

// Mash-in 152 for 50 min. 1 tsp CaCl2 to mash. Mash-out 168, sparge to collect 3.25 gallons 1.066 wort. Boil 15 minutes, chill to 120 with ice (ended up with 3.5 gallons). Added two dollops of Greek yogurt into the wort, seal top of wort with plastic wrap. Brewed 1/15/16. //

1/18/16  Lots of white bubbles started forming under the surface of the plastic wrap. Looks like fermentation is happening. Shucks. Called it quits and decided to finish off the beer. Skimmed off as much yogurt/yeast residue as possible and boiled for 90 minutes. Collected around 3 gallons of 1052 wort. Let it cool overnight down to 55, let it warm up to 65 before pitch a single vial of Brett.

1/23/16  Finally, first signs of fermentation.

2/27/16  Kegged.  This beer is ultra funky. Very similar to the Brett lambicus cider. Gravity down to 1004.

THE VERDICT

Well, the yogurt did not sour the wort as expected. I read that using unpasteurized yogurt may be needed but I’m still not sure if that’s totally necessary. After all, you wouldn’t want to kill off the probiotic bacteria in yogurt. Anyway, from this data point of a recipe, I did not achieve any sourness using this brand of yogurt. My guesses are that 1) there may have been too little lacto in the yogurt, or 2) I had a wild yeast take-over resulting in the foam under the plastic wrap. The grain-based method has been my only success so far in quick souring.

Even though the beer wasn’t sour, the level of Brett character is this beer was outrageous – it was on par with Brett Lambicus. Super horsey, borderline funky weird cheese. I wound up blending about 1/3 saison and the 2/3 of this together to create a more palatable and mildly funky beer. That being said, this yeast would likely be better suited pitched alongside a standard yeast, like a Belgian saison or a clean yeast. Allowing it to do all the work created a total funk bomb!

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Blonde, Experimental, Funky / Sour, Small Batch, Sour

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s