I’ve been in lager-mode recently, so I started looking around for a recipe of something that I’ve never brewed before: schwarzbier. I came across a good looking recipe on Brulosophy’s website, so I brewed it almost exactly as-is, except I used Perle instead of Saaz (just what I had laying around).
- 7.5 lb Pils
- 2 lb Dark Munich (10L)
- 0.5 lb Carafa II
- 0.38 lb Crystal 60
- 0.25 lb Chocolate (Briess)
- 0.4 oz Magnum hops (60 min)
- 0.5 oz Perle hops (15 min)
- WLP029 (Kolsch/German Ale) 1L starter
// Mash-in 1.6 qt/lb at 152 for 60 minutes, sparge to collect around 6.6 gallons 1044 wort. Boil 90 minutes, collect around 6 gallons of 1052 wort. Chill to 64F, oxygenate, pitch decanted starter. Let to ferment around 62F. Brewed 12/3/16 on grainfather. //
1.25 tsp CaCl2 to mash.
Having not brewed in a little while, I had a bunch of flubs during this batch. First, I didn’t remember to add the mash salts until I was about 40 minutes in. Hopefully late is better than never. Then, right at the end, as I’m almost done chilling the wort, I saw that my temp probe wasn’t fully inserted into the thermowell throughout the whole brew session. Awesome! Hopefully my mash temp wasn’t too far off from what it read.
12/6/16: Tons of blow off, but finally subsided and yeast seems to have dropped out. Gravity at 1018, slightly sweet but respectable flavor. More roast than I anticipated, and also fairly clean. Moved upstairs to around 68F.
12/10/16: Gravity at 1014. Really liking how this is tasting. Moved to fridge at 40F. Tasting notes.